Marianna Battlefield Online Tour
Dr. W.S. Wilson's Office
Best known as the "Abstract Office,"
Dr. W.S. Wilson used this office
during the Civil War. He treated the
Union Grave in Marianna
This stone at Riverside Cemetery
was placed after the war to mark the
grave of Lieutenant Isaac Adams.
Online Tour of Marianna Battlefield
The cemetery contains the grave
sites of both Union and Confederate
soldiers and a monument placed by
A charming and historic city with a
vibrant downtown and beautiful
setting, Marianna is now popular
with both heritage and eco-tourists.
Joseph Russ House
4318 Lafayette St., Marianna
Jackson County's Visitor Center, the historic Russ
House was built long after the battle but overlooks
Ely Corner, where the main fighting of the Battle of
Marianna began on September 27, 1864. Park here,
tour the home and read its historical marker, then
walk to the corner of the park at the intersection of
Lafayette and Russ Streets. For more information
The intersection was known as Ely Corner in 1864,
because it adjoined the historic Ely property. It was
here that Colonel Montgomeryhis mounted troops.
The Union column approached from your right via
the Campbellton Road (today's West Lafayette).
The first Union charge was hurled back by
Confederate fire, but the second attack drove
Montgomery up the street. Cross Russ Street and
walk to the sidewalk along Lafayette until you see
the Ely House.
One of Marianna's largest antebellum homes, this
beautiful old home overlooked the fighting at Ely
Corner. So far as is known, the house itself was
not used in the battle. Confederate cavalry
retreated up the street in front of the house,
followed closely by the charging Union column.
The home is not open to the public. From the Ely
House, continue to walk up the sidewalk along
Lafayette Street until you are opposite the Holden
Opposite the street is the historic Holden House,
now a day spa. Built in 1850, it was the home of
former Brigadier General William Anderson of the
Florida Militia, who was captured during the battle.
Heavy fighting took place on both sides of the
street here as Union troops battled members of the
Marianna Home Guard. A closet door inside the
Holden House still bears the marks inflicted by the
sword of a Union soldier during the battle. Walk on
to St. Luke's Episcopal Church directly ahead.
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
The scene of the heaviest fighting of the Battle of
Marianna, the historic churchyard was held by the
Marianna Home Guard against overwhelming odds.
The church was burned during the battle and the
bodies of Four Confederates were later found in
the ruins. Legend holds that the St. Luke's Bible
was saved by Major Nathan Cutler, 2nd Maine
Cavalry. He was seriously wounded in the battle.
Read the markers then follow the walkways
around to the cemetery behind the church.
Other Points of Interest
Battle of Marianna Monument - Lafayette and Caledonia Streets
Battle of Marianna Marker - Lafayette Street at Courthouse Square
Dr. W.S. Wilson's Office - Opposite Jefferson Street from the Courthouse
Riverside Cemetery - Bertram and Franklin Streets (Graves & Monument)
Davis-West House - Madison & Putnam Streets (antebellum home)
St. Luke's Burial Ground
The last stand of the Marianna Home Guard took
place here in the cemetery behind St. Luke's.
Surrounded by Union soldiers, the local men and
boys held out until they ran low on ammunition. The
home guard members were fired on by Union
troops after they had surrendered. Captain George
Maynard of the 82nd U.S. Colored Infantry
received a Congressional Medal of Honor in part
for bringing the shooting to a close and saving the
lives of Confederate prisoners here. Florida's
Confederate Governor, John Milton, is buried here.
The Battle of
Brochures for self-guided walking tours of the Marianna Battlefield are available at the historic
Joseph Russ House at 4318 Lafayette Street, Marianna, Florida. Guided tours of the battlefield
can be arranged by calling the Visitor Center in advance at 850-482-8061.
Search Our Site
Search Our Site
|Copyright 2009 & 2014 by Dale Cox
All Rights Reserved
Last Update: October 5, 2014